Saturday, October 20, 2012

Samurai Sword in the Walking Dead

Who is the ninja girl with a katana in the Walking Dead?




 "I'm--I'm not crying for me. I'm crying for you. I think about all the things I'm going to do to you and it makes me cry. It scares me." – Michonne

Meet the Woody Harrelson of The Walking Dead- Michonne. Every zombie storyline has its typecast characters- the scared guy, the hot chick, the level headed leader, and the bad ass sociopath whose only reason for existence seems to be zombie extermination. Enter Michonne on the Walking Dead, a zombie killing machine armed with a Japanese katana and a mysterious past. Watch her in action here.

All that aside, about the sword used by Michonne in the Walking Dead- I’ve been looking everywhere for a katana that’s similar to the one she uses. Michonne uses a standard size katana with a tsuka(handle) that may be longer than the norm. The tsuka and saya are white cord wrapped, and the tsuka has black rayskin underwrapping. The tsuba(hilt) is silver color and rounded. From the color and the sheen, I would guess that the katana is made of either aluminum or a very highly polished stainless steel. The hamon pattern seems too perfect of a wave pattern to have been forged using a differential heat treating process and probably isn’t real. 

As far as I know, this katana isn’t available yet, but if you’re interested in picking up a samurai sword with a white tsuka, here are a couple of options you may want to consider:


These swords don’t have white cord wrapped sayas(scabbards) like Michonne’s  does, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to set up your own- check out this tutorial:


2 comments:

  1. Preorder now.....http://sharpandpointy.com/preorder-the-walking-dead-limited-edition-michonnes-sword-p-26989.html#.UR028sfwJco.facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get the sword here. Great pre-order price http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=5530

    ReplyDelete